Chempak Sulphur 750g
Provides Ericaceous plants with the ideal soil for healthy growth.
Many ericaceous plants need soil suited to the plant, they will not grow, or will show signs of trace element deficiencies if the soil is not suited. Most ericaceous plants are lime-hating, they will not grow in limey soils. Chempak Sulphur chips will gradually reduce the pH content to make the soil suitable for healthy growth.
How and when to use:
- Chempak Sulphur can be used at any time of year, but does tend to be more effective in warm soils.
- Add to soil or compost and thoroughly mix in. Top dress on the surface area and work in by hand or hoe.
- Safe to use between established container plants where soil conditions are not ideal.
- For new plants, dig Chempak Sulphur in to the top 6-8".
Rate of use:
- Use 4oz. per sq. yd. (135gms per sq.m.).
- This will reduce the pH value by approximately 0.5 to 1 unit on the pH scale.
- It is advisable to wait until the soil warms to see the effectiveness of this application.
- If the desired pH is not realised more sulphur will be needed.
Soil pH: This is a measure of soil acidity or alkalinity on a scale from 0-14 units. Neutral soil condition has a pH value of 7; acid soils are lower than this; alkaline (limey) soils have a higher reading. pH6 = acidic, pH7 = neutral, pH8 = limey.
Soil testing: Soil pH is easily tested by either chemical or electronic DIY test kits available in most garden shops.
Ideal soil: Once ideal soil pH is achieved it should be monitored regularly to see it is not creeping back, as lime frequently 'comes through' on chalky soils.
Apply remedial sulphur chips if necessary.
Plant foods: Sulphur is also an important major plant food.
Chempak Sulphur chips will provide this essential element.
Iron deficiency: Many plants will exhibit chlorosis (yellowing) on limey soils. Correcting the soil condition will provide a permanent solution. Chempak Iron will correct these deficiencies quickly and may be an alternative or temporary solution.
Safety: Sulphur is combustible and may give off toxic fumes in the event of a fire. Fire fighting measures - douse with water. Store safely in the original container away from heat sources. Wash hands after use.